Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for "Accurate Backup"

2013-02-12 07:55:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for "Accurate Backup"
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: "Masopust, Christian" <christian.masopust AT siemens DOT com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:52:17 +0100
Masopust, Christian wrote (2013/02/12):
> As there are lots of files within the filesets to be backuped
> (appr. 6000000) I would kindly ask you about your experiences
> with accurate backups.

Hello, you can try it yourself - configure it and do "estimate".
I tried it with client with 15 000 000 files in a backup and I changed
my questions from "time" theme (because everything faster than full
backup is good for me and I expect, that it has to be faster)
to "client cpu and memory used" theme. And I'm not happy from backup
client using > 2 or 4 GB, so I stopped my experiments with accurate
backups for now.

However, I would be very very happy, if I did some mistake and if memory
usage is not so bad as I have seen (something like streaming - get new
attributes all the time, remember just currently needed information and
delete already used data - to have just small information window on
client side).

> How long will it last to send the accurate information
> of appr. 6000000 files and directories to the file daemon?

I closed my experiments with that it would be somewhat similar to waiting
on interactive restore, which is about 12 minutes for 15 000 000 files
in a backup in my case. (Is there a chance to perform better with
Postgres instead of MySQL? I saw many suggestiong about Postgres instead
of MySQL because of writing, but what about reading?)

Best regards.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology