Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Delete multiple volumes at once?

2013-01-31 18:05:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Delete multiple volumes at once?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:00:58 -0500
On Jan 31, 2013, at 7:58 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> is it possible to delete several bacula volumes in one go, say like
> so:
>
> delete catalog=MyCatalog volume=v01 volume=vol2 ... yes   ?

Script it.

echo 'catalog=MyCatalog volume=v01 yes' | console

I'm assuming you know how to get a list of those volumes into a script…

> I have several volumes with sizes in the hundreds of gigabytes and I
> assume that deleting them or rather their corresponding file table
> entries in one fell swoop (single delete from sql statement) would be
> faster then deleting them one by one (which takes several hours per
> volume on a 200GB file table with nearly one billion rows).

Why does it take several hours per volumes to delete a volume?  You're just
acting on the Catalog.

Oh yes, deleting all the file and job references.  Well, perhaps we need to
look at that took

The database is lacking in referential integrity.  I wish it wasn't.  By
rights, you should be able to go in
and delete from the media table, and have everything be safe and sound.  i.e.
no orphans.  But that's not
the case, last time I checked.

So.. yeah, be cautious there.  Sooner or later, you're going to have to let
those records get deleted.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org