Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] why long times with no writes?

2013-01-30 17:22:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] why long times with no writes?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:19:23 -0500
On 01/30/13 16:16, John Drescher wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
>> wrote:
>>> Also check for database activity. If you did not tune your DB server
>>> and you have millions of files the DB inserts could take a long time.
>>
>> Hmmm, there is about 900,000 files on that filesystem.
>>
>> Just a default MySQL install.   In what way should I tune it?
>> Specific to Bacula?
>
> Look for a mysql optimization guide to tune your my.conf (not really
> bacula specific). Many distributions ship with a default mysql setup
> that is tuned for a server with 64MB of ram (or something ridiculously
> small compared to your system).

+1.  Almost without exception, the first thing you should do on any
brand-new MySQL installation is toss the distribution's provided default
MySQL configuration in the trash and write a new one from scratch.  They
are uniformly worthless, and most actually *introduce* security weaknesses.

(The *second* thing you should do, if it hasn't already been done, is
run the mysql_secure_installation script.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.