Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Set more then 3 pools in a backup job

2013-01-28 10:24:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] Set more then 3 pools in a backup job
From: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:21:24 +0100

Hi everybody,

I've been using Bacula for 1 year, before then i used to write my own scripts.
I see, and correct me if i am wrong, that bacula allow only a maximum of 3 backup levels:

   Level 0: Full
   Level 1: Differential
   Level 2: Incremental

This means a maximum of 3 pools per job.

Now, if i have to implement this example of recovery schema:

   Every month for a year
   Every week for 6 months
   Every day for a month
   Every 3 hours for 2 days

There are 4 different rotation rules and schedules... not three.
How am i supposed to solve this?

With my own scripts, i would define 4 pools, and a job type for each pool:

  Level 0 Pool      Type:Full
  Level 1 Pool      Type:Differential
  Level 2 Pool      Type:Incremental
  Level 3 Pool      Type:Incremental

Every pool with his own rotation rules which based on the recovery schema, and a job type for each pool.

In my opinion it is wrong to bind the concept of job type and the concept of pool, they are 2 different things.
I use a pool to define a group of  volumes and their rotation rules, i specify a job type to define if those volumes will contain an incremental,differential or full backup.

I hope i'm wrong with this and that i wasn't able to find the correct solution which Bacula proposes, if this is the case please help me to throw light on that.

Thanks.