Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume retention: how does it work?

2013-01-24 16:05:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume retention: how does it work?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Simon Tyler <simon AT tpmcomm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:01:47 -0500
> Now when I do: list volume
>
> It shows the list of tapes, with VolRetention set to 2,592,000.
>
> When I do: show pools
>
> It shows VolRetention = 1 month
>
> So I scratched my head for awhile more and eventually guessed that there are
> 2,592,000 seconds in 30 days.
>
> Now, when I do a: status slots
>
> It still shows most of the tapes as Full, even though they haven't been used
> in 30 days. How do I know which tapes are available for use? I thought the
> status would change to Append or something. Will it just automagically start
> selecting the oldest tapes available?

When no tapes are available in the pool that bacula needs a tape from
bacula will then try to recycle the oldest tape. And oldest being
calculated from the last modified date. Remember that the retention
period does not start until the tape is marked full or used and then
it is calculated from the last modified date.

John