Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] PGSQL: make_catalog_backup.pl dumps everything?

2013-01-11 16:44:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] PGSQL: make_catalog_backup.pl dumps everything?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:41:31 +0100
Dear Andreas,

In message <20130110095801.Horde.OlSoM06jTahQ7oKZVfIUClA AT webmail.kwsoft DOT
de> you wrote:

> > I noticed that running "make_catalog_backup.pl" with a PostgreSQL
> > database runs "pg_dump -c" (i. e. without specifying a database),
> > which results in a full dump of the whole DB server, including far
> > more than the Bacula catalog.
> >
> > Is this a bug, or intentional?  If the latter, what is the rationale?
>
> I would say that this is intentional for people just want to use
> Bacula and therfore need a database. If you use the Bacula database in
> a non standard way eg. for more that just Bacula, you should also be
> able to roll out your own backup strategie for the DB.

I think you minsunderstand.

I am not using the bacula DB in any nonstandard way or for other
purposes.

The problem I see / the question I have is that the script
"make_catalog_backup.pl" as distributed with bacula will not only dump
the bacula database, but _all_ databases on the whole PostgreSQL
_server_.

If I use one machine as a DB server, I might use it to hold other
databases (completely unrelated to bacula) as well.  I've been using
MySQL so far, and here "make_catalog_backup.pl" will dump only the
bacula DB (i. e. MyCatalog).  When using a PostgreSQL server, the
script will not dump only this one DB, but all other, completely
unrelated databases as well (plus the DB schema and what else).

I think this is not correct - I may end up backing up many, many
gigabytes of data which are totally unrelated.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
To program is to be.