Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Verify Peer - for client or for server?

2013-01-07 18:37:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Verify Peer - for client or for server?
From: Landon J Fuller <landonf AT bikemonkey DOT org>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:19:24 -0500
On Jan 3, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:

> Comments?  Ideas?

Hmm. When I wrote the documentation (or, at least, the article that was turned
into the documentation), I may have been thinking that client->server
communications would -always- verify the peer's certificate, and that 'TLS
Verify Peer' would only be used to verify optional client certificates.

Or, perhaps that was how I originally implemented it, and then it changed. It's
been a long time.

Either way, it certainly seems to be the case now that it controls verification
of the "peer", regardless of whether the peer is a client or a server (in the
TLS sense). My one concern is if the implementation is not automatically
matching the certificate's CN against the supplied host name to which it is
connecting, and instead relying on 'TLS Allowed CN'.

-landonf