Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore from expired tapes

2013-01-04 10:09:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore from expired tapes
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC]" <uthra.r.rao AT nasa DOT gov>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:07:40 -0500
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET
SYSTEMS INC] <uthra.r.rao AT nasa DOT gov> wrote:
> John,
>
> We have only volume retention set for the pools. I have not set job and file
> retention for the different pools.  So, in my case when a tape is expired the
> catalog record remains intact until such time the tape is recycled right?
>
> Once the tape is recycled the catalog record for the jobs on that tapes is
> deleted.
>
> I need one clarification please. If the tape has expired but not recycled, I
> can still do a successful restore right?

Yes. If the tape/volume has its retention period expired but it was
not recycled you should be able to restore as normal. I believe in
that case (with no specified job or file retention) bacula would not
have purged the job records until the tape was recycled.

John