Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] PostgreSQL - how to exclude bacula database?

2012-12-28 09:04:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] PostgreSQL - how to exclude bacula database?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:01:07 +0100
Dear Jérôme Blion,

In message <57d402d951b7313f52d27fca670c707f AT imap.free DOT fr> you wrote:

> >> Say what?  mysqldump doesn't produce a valid backup?
> http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/6363/consistent-logical-backup-of-databases-that-use-myisam-and-innodb-engines
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_single-transaction

Well, this states:

         It's also worth mentioning that the default options will make
         sure your backup is safe, you don't need to turn any special
         flag on.

> And another reason not to use mysqldump on production systems: the
> nightmare begins when you have to restore a huge dump.

OK, but poor performance (while still bad) is a completely different
thing than inconsistent data.

> (that's why I use other tools like mylvmbackup and mydumper when I can
> afford to loose some records)

I don't understand you.  You complain that mysqldump was unreliable
(and causing inconsistent backup data), which is apparently not true,
and then you recommend some other tools which may "loose some records"?

This makes little sense to me.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
In C we had to code our own bugs, in C++ we can inherit them.