Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] PostgreSQL - how to exclude bacula database?

2012-12-28 06:16:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] PostgreSQL - how to exclude bacula database?
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:12:56 +0100
Le 2012-12-28 11:19, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de a écrit :
> Zitat von Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>:
>
>> On Dec 27, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Jérôme Blion wrote:
>>
>>> You can use pg_dump to backup databases separately. (as far as I
>>> know,
>>> the pg_dump creates consistent backup by defaults, whereas
>>> mysqldump
>>> does not by default)
>>

>> Say what?  mysqldump doesn't produce a valid backup?
>
> Back in ancient times there where problems with some backends doesn't
> produce valid *online* backups with mysqldump, but that's a long gone
> story as far as i know.
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/6363/consistent-logical-backup-of-databases-that-use-myisam-and-innodb-engines
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_single-transaction

And another reason not to use mysqldump on production systems: the
nightmare begins when you have to restore a huge dump.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2010/11/08/an-argument-for-not-using-mysqldump-in-production/

As long as Mysql uses non transactional engines, if you want a
consistent backup of all databases, you will have to create an outage
during the whole duration of the backup.

(that's why I use other tools like mylvmbackup and mydumper when I can
afford to loose some records)

HTH.
Jerome Blion