Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client changes host name

2012-12-08 09:32:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client changes host name
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:29:17 +0100
Hello,

On 2012-12-07 06:06, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

2012/12/7 Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org [1]>

My laptop has two hostnames.  One is used when it comes in over the
VPN. Another is used when its at home.

How do I deal with this?

I change the hostname in bacula-dir.conf and reload.

You can use a setip console command for that. It is a dynamic change
so when Director restarts it back to the IP address set in config
file.

Good idea.  Reading the documentation[1]

###
setip
Sets new client address - if authorized.
A console is authorized to use the SetIP command only if it has a Console
resource definition in both the Director and the Console. In addition, if
the console name, provided on the Name = directive, must be the same as a
Client name, the user of that console is permitted to use the SetIP command
to change the Address directive in the Director's client resource to the IP
address of the Console. This permits portables or other machines using DHCP
(non-fixed IP addresses) to "notify" the Director of their current IP address.
###

Hmmm, that second sentence needs to be improved.

It seems to say: if you use bconsole from a Client, you can use setip to change
the IP address of *that* client.

Yes it does exactly as described above.

Is that your interpretation of that command?

Well, not an interpretation but an experience... :)

I think we should extend this command with options allowing administrator or external application (i.e. DHCP server) to set IP address of any client.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net