Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] tapes randomly become unrecognizeable

2012-11-26 18:02:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] tapes randomly become unrecognizeable
From: Simon Tyler <simon AT tpmcomm DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:59:24 -0500

Today I had some tapes brought in from offsite storage and I loaded them into the autoloader. One of the tapes was recognized, and the other (slot 7)  showed in the Autoloader website and in the bacula (backup software) as Empty or not recognized.

I mounted the unrecognized tape, stopped bacula,  and did this:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

This rewinds the tape and marks end of file at the beginning, "deleting" the tape.

Then I started bacula and checked the status again.

This time, the tape in slot 8 was unrecognized, and the tape in slot 7 was recognized. This exact scenario has happened enough times that I'm confident I made no error; it's happening too often to be failed tapes. In the past, simply loading or mounting a tape from one slot, is enough to have a tape in another slot show as unrecognized.

So now that I've deleted the tape, is there a way to reset the entry for that tape in Bacula, as the Catalog thinks it's holding data?

Does anyone recognize this behaviour? I don't seem to have problems with tapes until I bring tapes in from offsite. Even if I've just written to them a few weeks ago, getting them recognized again is sort of random. Is it possible that some hardware problem could give similar symptoms? Once the tapes are recognized, during the week when jobs are running I seem to have no problems running backups, restores or seeing all the tapes. I run some fair sized backup jobs, some of them are 600-700GB and I'm able to go back and restore specific files. These problems only crop up on Mondays when I take out tapes for storage offsite, and populate the magazines with tapes that were just stored offsite for a short while (a few weeks). Often I can delete the tapes as above, and continue using them, but it defeats the purpose if i can't see data on tapes after storing them offsite, obviously.

I know that I've made a similar post in the past; I had problems with tapes that were previously written to by other backup software, but these symptoms appear the same, however these tapes were definitely formatted or previously written to and recognized by bacula.

Thanks,

Simon Tyler  |  Systems Administrator
TPM Communications
|  416-408-2727  x286