Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug TLS verification issues?

2012-11-23 05:16:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug TLS verification issues?
From: Felix Schwarz <felix.schwarz AT oss.schwarz DOT eu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:12:07 +0100
Hi Landon,

Am 19.11.2012 18:16, schrieb Landon J Fuller:
> On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Felix Schwarz <felix.schwarz AT oss.schwarz DOT
> eu> wrote:
>
>> Somehow my console can't query the SD status. If I start the sd with '-d100'
>> only see this output:
>> SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:no certificate returned
>> authenticate.c:190-0 Unable to authenticate Director at client.
>
> This means that the SD was expecting a client certificate to be provided by
> the console, but the console is not providing a certificate ("no certificate
> returned"). I believe you can disable this by turning TLS Verify Peer off, if
> you just want to use password authentication. Otherwise, make sure you have a
> TLS Certificate and TLS Key specified in your console configuration.

Indeed the problem was that my certificate was only a 'server' certificate
(which is what you get from most public CAs) and at that time I missed the
exact flow of communication from bconsole -> director -> sd.

Now I can see that 'SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE' somehow contains a hint but
still the error messages could be way better (but I guess that's because of
OpenSSL's really limited API).

fs