Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume has been set to "FULL" and not "USED"

2012-11-07 09:37:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume has been set to "FULL" and not "USED"
From: Sven Tegethoff <tegethoff AT udobaer DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:33:41 +0100
> *   This means that I've 4 volumes damaged? I tried this night with a
> new volume and the backup finished correctly.

All the logs tell us is that the tape drive could not write to the tape
- without further investigation, it's impossible to say whether the
tapes are at fault, the tape drive is becoming unreliable, or if there's
something wonky with your controller or cabling.

> *  why bacula doesn't sent me a mail with that error?

 From a logical point of view: Because the director only sends mails at
the END of a job, or when a job needs intervention. The write error did
not terminate the job, nor did it require intervention - failing tapes
are not uncommon, so the strategy is to just continue on the next tape.
Ideally, you always have an extra volume in the scratch pool as a spare,
and the situation gets resolved automatically, even when it happens at
3am without any human presense. So the behaviour makes sense in a way.

That being said, I agree it would be very nice in some situations if
there was a feature to receive extra email notifications for I/O-Errors
instead of relying on the user to scan their daily logs for it.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Tegethoff
EDV-Team

UDO BÄR GmbH & Co. KG
Fürstenstraße 18
47051 Duisburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 203 28117-142
Fax: +49 (0) 203 28117-151
E-Mail: tegethoff AT udobaer DOT de

Ust.-Idnr.: DE119562189, HRA 6056, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Duisburg,
Gerichtsstand: Duisburg Geschäftsführer: Bodo Badnowitz, Jürgen Dietz

Ein Unternehmen der BTI Gruppe: www.bti-group.com

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese
E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail
ist nicht gestattet.  This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this
e-mail is strictly forbidden.