Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can backed-up data be stored on a large disk?

2012-11-02 10:10:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can backed-up data be stored on a large disk?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: scott <svetter AT ameritech DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 10:07:25 -0400
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM, scott <svetter AT ameritech DOT net> wrote:
> Just starting to look into Bacula for backing up multiple machines. So
> can Bacula tore backup data onto a large disk instead of tape?

Yes. Make sure you limit the volume size so bacula has many volumes
instead of 1. A single volume will be non functional since when it
fills you will have to throw away all of your backups to recycle the
volume to reuse the space. I recommend that you also consider using
the bacula virtual autochanger as it converts the disk storage into a
virtual autochanger and that will make it much simpler to run
concurrent jobs to your disk volumes. See here for a description:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/

Without the virtual autochanger you may (depending on your pool
policy) have to manually create a bacula storage device for each job
you want to run concurrently since bacula will only allow 1 volume to
be loaded at a time per storage device (the disk gets many of the same
restrictions as a tape).

John