Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is tape filling up too early?

2012-10-19 13:43:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is tape filling up too early?
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Sergio Belkin <sebelk AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:40:42 +0200
Hello,

2012/10/19 Sergio Belkin <sebelk AT gmail DOT com>
2012/10/19 Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>:
> Hello,
>
> 2012/10/18 Sergio Belkin <sebelk AT gmail DOT com>
>>
>> [root@superback ~]#  mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
>> [root@superback ~]# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0
>> Product Type: Disk Drive
>> Vendor ID: 'ServeRA '
>> Product ID: 'Supernoc Mirror '
>

> Are you sure that /dev/sg0 is your tape drive?
Interesting:

tapeinfo -f /dev/sg4
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
Product ID: 'HH LTO Gen 3    '
Revision: '76B0'
Attached Changer: No
SerialNumber: '1020024392'
TapeAlert[20]:    Clean Now: The tape drive neads cleaning NOW.
TapeAlert[21]:Clean Periodic:The tape drive needs to be cleaned at
next opportunity.
TapeAlert[39]:Undefined.
MinBlock:1
MaxBlock:16777215
SCSI ID: 2
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: yes
BufferedMode: yes
Medium Type: 0x38
Density Code: 0x44
BlockSize: 0
DataCompEnabled: yes
DataCompCapable: yes
DataDeCompEnabled: yes
CompType: 0x1
DeCompType: 0x1
BOP: yes
Block Position: 0

Messages TapeAlert are strange. I rerun and the alerts dissapeared!

Why do you think above TapeAlert messages are strange?
You have to clean a tape drive with a dedicated cleaning tape cartridge.

Is that a problem of the tape or of the tape drive

Tape drive which should be cleaned.

best regards