Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] no more appenable volumes -- what's the preferred way to handle this

2012-10-08 06:32:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] no more appenable volumes -- what's the preferred way to handle this
From: Marek Šimon <marek.simon AT casablanca DOT cz>
To: mayak-cq <mayak AT australsat DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:12:15 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,
I often hit this problem in the past, and the reason was usualy some "lack of space" situations in the past.
Bacula marked some volumes with Error flag and use other. Now the Errorous volmes cant be used until they are purged.
Or maybe they were marked with Full (maybe becuase of size limit) flag and bacula used other Volume(s). So more Volumes were used in one day. Now those volumes are still not allowed to be recycled because they are "too young".

So my setup is like that: Use time of volumes is 23 hours. Max volumes in a pool is 42. Max retention time is 41 days. Full backup is on every even Sunday, Incremental in all other days. So I still have at least 28 days backtrack.
But you must still keep eye on disk space carefully or the problems will still prey you.

How to purge more volumes in a bunch?
I wrote a little script with echo which I piped into bconsole. It was like:
while read volnumber
do
echo purge
done | bconsole