Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Database sizing estimates

2012-08-07 05:16:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Database sizing estimates
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:14:35 +0200
Hello,

2012/7/19 Clark, Patricia A. <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
I know that the quantity of files and the retention time are the big factors in the size of the catalog database in bacula.  What would be a good calculation to use to ensure a healthy amount of space for the database?  I have a postgresql database sitting in a partition with nearly 4GB free.  I had a large backup fail at the end when it was attempting to update the catalog because there wasn't enough space.  Granted there were more than 11 million records being inserted.  There have been no other errors or concerns from postgresql until now.

In my projects I use a following database estimation:

DBSize = Nb_of_files_in_file_table * ( 400B + 400B )
where
Nb_of_files_in_file_table is a number all of files stored in catalog database for all required backups (something you can get from select count(*) from file;)
400B is an average size of a file record
400B is an average size of required indexes

It is accurate in 90%-95%, enough for estimation.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net