Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] quickest possible installation and test

2012-08-04 07:05:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] quickest possible installation and test
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: DynV <dynvec AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 07:02:53 -0400
On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:42 AM, DynV <dynvec AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I've been using a somewhat popular and easy of use backup software on the
> source files for my programming. I know I should be using a Version control
> systems (VCS) but that would require me learning about it ; the closest I
> came to use it if learning how to create a patch, not praiseworthy.
>
> I've looked at List of backup software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
> and Bacula seemed a very good choice. As I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit
> seemed the best choice so I downloaded and ran bacula-win64-5.2.10.exe.
> During the installation, it got the the Direction option asking for Name,
> Password & Address so I entered them and for the adress, lacking a
> tooltip/infotip, I entered my email.
>
> Now having a folder added to my start menu along with content and
> sub-folders, I tried a few of them. The most promising shortcut was Bacula >
> Bat but it gave me an error right away, crashing the program. I did a quick
> search and figured I needed to replace the email address for a local IP so I
> changed it (from email address) in C:\Program Files\Bacula\bconsole.conf and
> C:\Program Files\Bacula\bin32\bat.conf. Afterward clicking on the Bat
> shortcut did last some seconds but eventually warned (in a popup window)
>
> bat: ABORTING due to error in console/console.cpp:157 Failed to connect to
> MY_ENTERED_NAME for populateLists.
>
> displaying a crash alert the closing the window.
>
> I'd really like to know the quickest way to install then test Bacula backup
> software. A hint on to fix this would be nice but otherwise I'll uninstall
> Bacula first.

The method of installation depends on your choice of distribution on
your linux server. Remember that the server part of bacula currently
does not run on windows (unless this has recently changed without me
noticing).

for me in gentoo linux the install was mainly

1. select database choice in /etc/portage/package/use using USE flags

2. emerge bacula

then

3. configure the bacula-dir.conf

4. configure bacula-sd.conf

5. configure bconsole.conf

6. install and configure bacula on each client.

Done

This is however not really simpler than setting up subversion on my
linux box however I do have bacula backup my subversion repositories.

John