Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Long running jobs and BackupCatalog

2012-08-02 10:15:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Long running jobs and BackupCatalog
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 07:13:22 -0700

The enterprise version may have a pause feature, but the open-source one
does not.

We run a slave database server and make a daily dump from that, knowing
that it will not preserve the records being made for running jobs, but
since the running jobs aren't complete when the dump begins, they
wouldn't be useful records to have anyway (and we're willing to be
behind by a day on our backups if a disaster were to occur).

It's also possible to run a transactional engine on your master db and
do a dump while jobs are running, but we found the dump times to be
ridiculously high (like 12+ hours).  Our Catalog is something like 300Gb.

There are other options out there as well, like using a snapshot of your
underlying filesystem, but, yeah, a pause feature sure would be nice for
many many reasons.

Stephen

On 8/2/12 6:36 AM, Clark, Patricia A. wrote:
> Because I have quite a few long running jobs, my BackupCatalog job is not
> getting run more than once or twice per week.  I understand the potential
> instability of backing up the catalog while there are running jobs.  Is there
> anything in the bacula pipeline that would pause running jobs so that the
> catalog could be backed up?  Say a snapshot capability?
>
> Patti Clark
> Information International Associates, Inc.
> Linux Administrator and subcontractor to:
> Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760
404.538.7077 (phone)           University of California, Berkeley
510.643.5811 (fax)             Berkeley, CA 94720-4760