Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow Backups with MySQL

2012-05-31 16:51:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow Backups with MySQL
From: Keet Fox <keetfox AT gmail DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:48:55 -0400
Hey Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to read my problems. It's much appreciated.

src/config.h reports
#define USE_BATCH_FILE_INSERT 1
#define HAVE_THREAD_SAFE_MYSQL 1

I also turned on general logging on MySQL to see what queries were
coming across and it's inserting everything into the batch table when
it despools. The problem is, I would be expecting it to insert more
than 20-30 entries a second into the database as it despools.

As I said in the original post, it could be a MySQL issue, or
potentially a client library issue. However, doing a mysqldump of the
database on the remote server, copying it over to the director/file
daemon, and then running 'mysql' and using 'source' to reinsert, takes
all of 10-20 seconds. So, the database server itself seems to be happy
with the information, just not bacula's communication with it.

I'd be willing to insert some debug code to monitor how quickly bacula
is sending the queries if someone could give me a spot to look. I'm
not opposed to hacking a few things to get more information, I just
don't have the time to understand the entire project to know where to
put in some printfs :>

Thanks again for your help! I do appreciate the time you're putting
into looking at this.

- Greg