Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling / backup strategy

2012-05-30 03:23:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling / backup strategy
From: Danilo Godec <danilo.godec AT agenda DOT si>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:21:52 +0200
On 05/29/2012 05:44 PM, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 29.05.2012 11:16, schrieb Danilo Godec:
>> backup strategy in general. I will be backing up three clients
>> (including the server running Bacula) and one 800GB LTO-4 tape drive,
>> and there will be 'someone' for changing tapes.
> I take it that you have no autochanger, just a standalone drive.

Right, no changer, just one single drive. And staff with instructions to
change tapes (better to keep instructions simple).

>> The basic idea of the backup strategy is 4 weekly tapes and 1 monthly
>> tape per month:
>>
>> * every Friday a tape is changed
>>     * if it's a first Friday in month, a new tape should be inserted and
>> it should be auto-labeled with the previous month's name
> Bacula will not auto-label tapes. You'll have to do that manually.

Ok, that's not a huge problem...

> If you do not have an autochanger anyway, you could as well do away with
> separate pools. Just create a single pool with all your tapes. The only
> thing you'll lose is protection against accidentally overwriting a
> monthly tape with a weekly backup, so your tape-changing "someone" needs
> to be a little bit more careful.

Basically - label 12 tapes with names of months ('JAN', 'FEB', 'APR',
...) and another 4 tapes with week numbers ('WEEK1', 'WEEK2', 'WEEK3',
'WEEK4'), all in one pool and making sure the staff inserts correct tapes...

> If you want to get more fanciful, you can modify the retention periods
> of the individual tapes with "update volume" so that your weekly and
> monthly tapes have different retention even though they live in the same
> pool. But I don't think that's worth the effort.

Monthly tapes should be stashed away so this might really be an overkill.

Thanks for your help,
Danilo