Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup filesystem crashed - job error afterwards.

2012-05-20 05:32:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup filesystem crashed - job error afterwards.
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 11:29:56 +0200
Hello,

2012/5/18 Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal AT gmail DOT com>
18-May 02:05 bacula-sd JobId 4786: Warning: label.c:330 Open device "FileStorage" (/backups) Volume "Vol-Full-sourcehost-0029" failed: ERR=dev.c:532 Could not open: /backups/Vol-Full-sourcehost-0029, ERR=Permission denied
(...)
In /backups/:
ls -al /backups/
total 55780956
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   root        4096 May 18 15:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root   root        4096 May 16 13:49 ..
drwx------  2 root   root       16384 May 16 11:18 lost+found
-rw-r-----  1 bacula disk  2713525787 May 18 00:11 Vol0033
-rw-r-----  1 bacula disk           0 May 16 03:13 Vol-Full-sourcehost-0028
-rw-r-----  1 bacula disk 54350352384 May 16 02:48 Vol-Full-sourcehost-0032

A solution for above "problem" is to set a proper permissions on /backups filesystem, i.e. chown bacula /backups. You have configured an automatic volume labeling, so Bacula has to have a directory write permissions to work properly.

Another possible problem is zero sized volume: Vol-Full-sourcehost-0028. When Bacula write a label (create a disk volume) then first a few hundred bytes is allocated for label itself. This means that even an empty volume is a few hundred bytes in size, no zero. Above volume is unusable for Bacula and should be deleted or relabeled.

I think that my "backup history" is lost because of mentioned filesystem problem and I should "re-initialize" my backup volume/pool.

If you have lost any previous full backups then any following differential or incremental backups will be unusable. The proper solution is to check a catalog media list against available volumes. If you find any differences then you have to delete a bad volume from catalog and from filesystem. It will clean all you problems with this issue.

How to do it correctly so that the backup job could start "fresh" without any history?

If you want a very fresh start that you have to delete all volumes from catalog (delete volume=<volname>) and from filesytem (rm /backups/<volname>).

I am very new to bacula, so please excuse me if the question fairly simple. I have read some solutions on google but do not want to delete/purge to much.

No problem, if you have any questions, just ask.

--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net