Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring partial catalog backup after unexpected pruning

2012-05-11 13:45:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring partial catalog backup after unexpected pruning
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 18:43:20 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Few days before I had a bad behaviour from bacula. It pruned lots of
> backups from my archives ONLY for one client in one pool before a
> specified date!.
>
> I couldn't reread tapes because there was a lot of tapes.
> I couldn't restore the full catalog dump because lots of jobs had run
> since this unexpected behaviour and so if I did it I would loose
> theses jobs.
>
> My postgresql Select was on job and jobfiles for a pool and for a
> specific client
>
> Can you confirm that I did right to reimport theses jobs and files :
>
> - The tables that I restored were : job, log, file, jobmedia
>
> - The tables filename and path seems to be ok  ? Is this a normal
> behaviour that filenames and path were not pruned like the files ?

Yes.  The dbcheck program will remove unused filename and path entries, but
Bacula doesn't.

> - Is there a possibility that this catalog import was wrong ? If yes
> which points should I check ?

Sounds right to me.  The only other thing you might need is to update/restore
rows in the media table (e.g. if the volumes were purged).

> Also what can be the origin of the unexpected behaviour ? It happened
> on a restore job on the client that was pruned.
>
> Have you got an idea ?

Sounds like the action of the client AutoPrune settings (AutoPrune defaults to
true).

__Martin