Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Determining next tapes to use

2012-04-27 09:58:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Determining next tapes to use
From: "Jack Cobb" <jcobb AT skylinecorp DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:56:09 -0400

Hello everyone,

We are using Bacula 5.0.1 running on an Ubuntu 10.04 server attached to a Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library.  I run differential daily backups Monday thru Thursday and a full weekly backup on Friday.  I have pools setup for both the daily and weekly tapes and use the list nextvol command from bconsole to determine the next tape I should be using.  This works fine for the daily differential backups because they only use one tape each day.  However, the weekly full backup always takes two tapes.  If I use the list nextvol command for the full backup it only gives me the next single tape to use.

Since I place the tapes in the tape library’s magazine before I leave each day I would like to be able to know which two tapes to use for the weekly full backup.  What I have been doing so far is to place in the library all the remaining tapes in the full backup pool.  I would prefer for Bacula to tell me what the next two tapes should be used instead.  Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Cobb