Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] barcode printing choices (Was: For those of you who might be interested)

2012-04-25 17:54:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] barcode printing choices (Was: For those of you who might be interested)
From: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
To: Jerome Alet <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:51:52 -0400
In the message dated: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 07:12:10 +1100,
The pithy ruminations from Jerome Alet on
<[Bacula-users] For those of you who might be interested> were:
=> Hi there,
=>
=> Just in case someone would be interested, here's the link to my Free
=> online generator of LTO tape labels :
=>
=>   http://tapelabels.librelogiciel.com/

Thanks for writing the label generator (which I used for quite a while,
generating ~300 labels).

Unfortunately, our new tape library (Dell ML6010 -- rebranded Adic i500)
is much more sensitive to the barcodes than our 2 previous libraries.
The new library cannot read the old labels generated through your site
and printed on Avery 6577 labels. I'm now using a derivitave of the
"make_tape_label" script[1] to print new barcodes (on the same Avery
stock) to replace the existing labels, and am purchasing pre-labeled
tapes for all new media.

I see this as an issue with the barcode reader on the ML6010--your
labels were fine with 3 previous barcode readers, and Dell tech support
acknowledged that other people have had similar issues with the ML6010 being
very sensitive as to the label format, size, and placement on the tape
cartridge.

Again, thanks for writing the label generator.

Mark

        [1] http://www.sax.de/~sr1/projects/make_tape_barcode/

                This software allowed me to adjust the size of the
                printed barcode to fill the label as much as possible--
                changes of 0.635mm in barcode height and 4.4mm in
                barcode width across the whole label made a difference
                in whether the barcode reader in the library could
                read the label successfully (90% of the time) or not.

=>
=> Any comment is very welcome.
=>
=> I'd particularly like to know if a standalone offline release would be
=> of interest, and if yes then why ?
=>
=> TIA.
=>
=> --
=> Jérôme Alet - <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc> - Direction du Système
d'Information
=>       Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie - BPR4 - 98851 NOUMEA CEDEX
=>    Tél : +687 290081                                  Fax : +687 254829
=>
=>
=> Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
=> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
=>