Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running a fake incremental that can be considered as Full ( Database Dumps )

2012-04-18 07:12:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running a fake incremental that can be considered as Full ( Database Dumps )
From: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:38:22 +0200
2012/4/16 Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>:
> On 16.04.2012 12:09, Hugo Letemplier wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I use Bacula 5.0.3
>>
>> On few linux servers I have got BDD dumps that run every nights at a
>> specified time.
>> For synchronism reasons between databases theses backups are run via
>> crontab and not directly from bacula.
>>
>> I need that bacula save theses databases dumps every morning
>> - The filesystem is a read only LVM snapshot of a Virtual Machine (
>> the backup is ran on the physical host and not on the virtual machine
>> )
>> - The snapshot is generated and mounted in a Run Before Job script
>>
>> Rotation schemas that deletes old dumps on the backed up server is not
>> the same than on the configuration of bacula servers
>>
>> I need bacula to :
>> - Run a full
>> - Save only the dumps that haven't been already backed up .
>>
>> I must have a full:
>> - If I do increments, I will need to keep the full and this is not
>> what I want, if the full is deleted it will create a new one
>> - Moreover a DB dump as no dependency in previous dumps
>>
>> I can't select only the dump of the day :
>> - If bacula job is not working one day, the next one must backup the
>> "missed db dump" that where not backed up during the failed job
>>
>> I can't use a predefined list of files in fileset because the estimate
>> seems to be done before "Run Before Job" script that generates the
>> snapshot so it doesn't validate the include path.
>> File = "\\|bash -c \"find …… wont work because it's ran before my
>> snapshot creation
>>
>> I think that it rests "options sections" from fileset but I didn't
>> found anything that's fine
>>
>> In fact I want to run a full that saves only files since the last
>> successful backup without using the incremental method because it will
>> generate a full that will be deleted so I will have a useless FULL -
>> INC dependence
>>
>> Have you got an idea ?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Hi,
>
> if I understand you right, you want Bacula's virtual backup. You can run
> your usual Full and Incremental jobs and then consolidate them into a
> new Full backup. See
>
> http://bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_3_0_0.html#SECTION001370000000000000000
>

> Regards,
> Christian Manal

I dont think that Virtual Backup can help me.
Moreover, I can't put a virtual Backup in the same pool than the
previous full so it

My first idea was to move/rename the files that have been backed up
after each job so they wont match a regexp option in fileset
=> This is not possible because of the Read Only FS

I think that i am gonna store a file list from the previous job on the director
Then I will read this list as an exclude list in the next job
I think that it's fine because every dump file has a unique file name
with a timestamp