Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Solaris Clients slow to backup

2012-04-09 11:42:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Solaris Clients slow to backup
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 01:16:39 +1000
On 04/10/12 00:51, Abdullah Sofizada wrote:
[SNIP]
How much memory do the SPARC boxen have?

Did you build the client with the God-awful Compiler Collection or the
Sun Studio/Workbench compiler?

What options did you use to build?

What NIC(s) are on the SPARC boxen?

Does "netstat" report any errors?  On either end?

The box you used in your post is Solaris 8 - are you using UFS or LVM?
I assume you would be using ZFS for Solaris 10 - lots and lots of RAM
too, I hope?

Just how full are the disks?

Are the machines busy?

There's not a badly configured switch or something between the clients
and the servers?  I once had to threaten to drill holes in the walls and
run our own cabling to a computer room before our incompetent network
team would admit that "there may be a switch or hub somewhere in the
chain that is iffy" and unlocked a couple of cable cabinets - oh, look,
an ancient 10 megabit switch, what a surprise!!!  It wasn't on any of
the network cabling diagrams, either, no mention of any switches in the
cable cabinets - as I said, they are incompetent.

Does changing the time at which you run change the duration?  (The old
"cleaners plug in noisy stuff that is next to the network cable" problem!)

Oh, replace all the network cables from the SPARC boxes where possible,
that's an easy and sometimes strange one, solid traffic like Bacula can
show up strange networking problems.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)