Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backups increased to 500GB after adding to IPA domain

2012-04-05 12:56:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backups increased to 500GB after adding to IPA domain
From: Steve Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:39:19 -0700
On 4/5/12 8:21 AM, Abdullah Sofizada wrote:
> Hi guys, this is a very weird one. I been trying to tackle this for the
> past two weeks or so to no avail...
>
> My director runs on Redhat Rhel 5.5 running bacula 5.0.2. My clients are
> Redhat Rhel 5.5 running bacula 5.0.2.
>
> Each of the bacula clients are less than 15 GB of data. Backups of each
> client were fine. But two weeks ago the backups for each of these
> clients ballooned to 550GB each!!
>
> When I do a df -h... the servers only show 15GB of space used. The one
> difference I noticed in the past two weeks is...I added these servers to
> our new IPA domain. Which in essence is an ldap server using kerberos
> authentication for identity management. This server runs on Rhel 6.2.
>
> I have many other clients which are not part of the IPA domain that are
> backing up just fine. So I'm sure it has something to do with this. I
> have even tried to remove my bacula clients out of the IPA domain, than
> ran a backup. But it still reports at 550GB of data being backed up.
>
> I appreciate the help...

Complete guess: Does something that you added use one or more 'large'
sparse files?  If so, either exclude those files from the backup, if
they are say, log-type files, or turn on sparse file detection in the
fileset (add sparse=yes to the fileset Options resource, as I recall).
The only other thing I could think of is if you are using 'onefs=yes'
and something introduced links such that most of your data is now being
backed up multiple times.

-se