Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP - changes to FreeBSD Bacula ports

2012-04-03 17:32:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP - changes to FreeBSD Bacula ports
From: Maxim Khitrov <max AT mxcrypt DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:05:35 -0400
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
wrote:
> On 03.04.2012 21:55, Dan Langille wrote:
>> A long running problem with the Bacula port is being worked on by Alonso
>> Cárdenas Márquez. I have been testing out his changes recently.
>>
>> The problem: shared libraries installed by one of the ports are
>> reinstalled by the other ports.  This problem has raised its head in a few
>> recent posts.
>>
>> The proposed solution at present involves making bacula-client a dependent
>> of bacula-server.  Let bacula-client install the shared libraries.
>>
>> Downside: you can't install bacula-server without first installing
>> bacula-client.
>>
>> Benefit: it solves the problem.
>>
>> Better solution: create a third port which installs JUST the shared
>> libraries.  That solution isn't in scope at present.
>>
>> Comments?  Questions?  Volunteers for testing?  Volunteers for
>> improvements to the solution?
>
> One simple solution would be to create a 'bacula-libs' port, let it
> compile as little as possible and install only the shared libraries.
> 'bacula-server' and 'bacula-client' ports wouldn't then install the
> libraries, although they compile them.

I agree that this is the best solution, but I'm not familiar with the
details of the port or why another option was chosen. Perhaps there
are some technical problems with isolating the shared libraries.

> Or: modify the install-scripts to check first whether the shared
> libraries exist or not, and then decide whether to install them and mark
> them part of pkg-plist (I'm not really sure the latter is possible though).

I don't think this will work, because removing whichever port was
installed first would then break the port that is still installed.

- Max