Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?

2012-04-03 10:45:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 07:43:53 -0700

On 4/2/12 3:33 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 04/02/2012 06:06 PM, Stephen Thompson wrote:
>>

>> First off, thanks for the response Phil.

>>> If you're finding InnoDB slower than MyISAM on reads, your InnoDB buffer
>>> pool is probably too small.
>>
>> This is probably true, but I have limited system resources and my File
>> table is almost 300Gb large.
>
> Ah, well, sometimes there's only so much you can allocate.
>
>>> --skip-lock-tables is referred to in the mysqldump documentation, but
>>> isn't actually a valid option.  This is actually an increasingly
>>> horrible problem with mysqldump.  It has been very poorly maintained,
>>> and has barely developed at all in ten or fifteen years.
>>>

>> This has me confused.  I have jobs that can run, and insert records into
>> the File table, while I am dumping the Catalog.  It's only at the
>> tail-end that a few jobs get the error above.  Wouldn't a locked File
>> table cause all concurrent jobs to fail?
>
> Hmm.  I stand corrected.  I've never seen it listed as an option in the
> man page, despite there being one reference to it, but I see that
> mysqldump --help does explain it even though the man page doesn't.
>
> In that case, the only thing I can think of is that you have multiple
> jobs trying to insert attributes at the same time and the last ones in
> line are timing out.
>
> (Locking the table for batch attribute insertion actually isn't
> necessary; MySQL can be configured to interleave auto_increment inserts.
>   However, that's the way Bacula does it.)
>
> Don't know that I have any helpful suggestions there, then...  sorry.

Thanks again for the response, just bouncing this issue off someone is
of help.

You idea about the jobs simply running into contention for locks sounds
reasonable, though I never saw this happening with MyISAM (in the 3+
years we've run bacula, and I see it the 2nd night into running InnoDB).
If so, I wouldn't mind estimating the maximum time my jobs might have to
wait for a lock, based on their size and concurrency, but I really hate
just tweaking settings in the DB without knowing why I'm doing so, you
know.  I'd like to get to the bottom of what's causing the timeout.

thanks,
Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760