Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows File Daemon: "VSS" or "System State" or both ?

2012-01-25 10:35:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows File Daemon: "VSS" or "System State" or both ?
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:33:59 +0100
Hello,

I used to do one of the following depending on whether is Windows 2003
or 2008+ to have some additional protection:

ClientRunBeforeJob = "start /w ntbackup backup systemstate /F
C:\\SystemState.bkf"
ClientRunAfterJob = "del C:\\SystemState.bkf"

ClientRunBeforeJob = "start /w wbadmin start systemstatebackup
-backuptarget:D: -quiet"
ClientRunAfterJob = "rmdir /s /q D:\\WindowsImageBackup"

But if you run with VSS enabled you're able to back up also registry
and open files, so unless you have a strict requirement to restore
only a part of the "System State" I suggest you to use only VSS.

I made many restore of complete Windows systems with BartPE and the
bacula plugin. The only thing you will see is "shutdown unexpected"
when you reboot the restored system.

>>From my experiences, Active Directory domain controllers are a LOT
easier and faster to be replicated from another instance than to be
restored from scratch.

Regards,
--Simone

On 25 January 2012 11:48, Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am backing up Windows servers.
>
> I have a doubt on my file set. I run backups with VSS enabled and I
> run NTBackup to make a dump of the System State.
>
> This is recommended on the Bacula documentation but with both the VSS
> enabled and the NTBackup System state backup, have we got a redundancy
> of information ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Hugo

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).