Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] General problems in creating Bacula configuration that would work as expected

2011-12-29 05:29:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] General problems in creating Bacula configuration that would work as expected
From: SpamMePlease PleasePlease <spankthespam AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:27:01 +0100
Hi everyone!

I've started Bacula installation in linux environment and I've reached
a point in which complexity of Bacula configuration and volume/type of
technical documentation is way beyond my understanding. My
configuration can be viewed here, along with additional information:
http://pastebin.ca/2097178 and first, most important issues/questions
are below:

* do I need multiple volumes for my storage, and if I do, then why,
and how to do it properly?
* why my volumes that have already been created and used, are not reusable?
* how long will I keep backups in current configuration and how do I
properly control that? (I'd like to keep the files for given fileset
for a month back in time, for any day)
* why my full backups arent starting and performing?
* why my mysql catalog fails constantly?
* is my per host configuration properly done? (each host should be
able to have its own fileset or at least be able to extend
basic/generic fileset - different files stored for webservers,
diffferent for database servers, but all of them have common /etc for
example)

Its for a start. I will be extremely grateful for some clues what and
where am I doing wrong, and why, because in richness of technical
documentation I miss explanations and best practices for real life
scenarios a lot.

Kind regards, S.