Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Preserving data of decommissioned Bacula client

2011-12-21 16:42:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Preserving data of decommissioned Bacula client
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:40:52 -0800
I asked this recently and was pointed to the docs on bscan.
So I tested bscan on a separate Director box and it works very
well, takes a while, but is feasible. So you would:

Get hard copy or the best thing to it of the last Full backup you want
to save and/or any incr/diff after that.

When you need to access that for restore you would run bscan on the volume (be it
tape or hard drive file) and then access the jobs there were restored.

My advice is to do a small Full backup of some data, transfer that volume to a
different Director and work the tools (bscan) on it and do a restore so you know
the process.

The link to the docs for bscan is here (version 3.0x though I don't know where it is in the current docs):
http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/utility/utility/Volume_Utility_Tools.html

Regards.