Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape unloads immediately after load

2011-12-09 07:02:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape unloads immediately after load
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:59:30 +0100
Uwe Bolick:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 07:58:09PM +0100, Dietz Pröpper wrote:
> > Uwe Bolick:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I needs to restore files from tape, but this time without success,
> > > because the needed tape can not be loaded for action. After loading
> >
> > > the tape, it get's unloaded immediately:
> > [...]
> >
> > What happens if you try to load the tape by hand, i.e. by means of a
> > mtx load 3, and try to read it afterwards, i.e. by dding the tape
> > device to /dev/null? Be sure to umount the tape before trying to
> > read.
>
> It's really strange, because everything seems OK. If I do it by hand,
> I get:

Sorry, but you did not do it by hand ;-). And what I can see from the logs
you mailed, it's the tape in slot 3 that gets rejected.

Please, try to load that tape outside of bacula by means of mtx, try to
read some sectors by means of dd. I'd assume, the tape is bad, so that the
tape drive simply refuses to load it.

regards
        Dietz