Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Searching through backed-up files

2011-12-07 07:53:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Searching through backed-up files
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:29:43 +0100
Hello,

2011/12/2 Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>
Hallo,
    I've got a (hopefully not so) unusual problem.
I need look for a text string inside some text files that I've backed up
with bacula.
The first, naive solution that comes to mind is of course to extract
portion of the backup archive (e.g. going back in time), one fd-client
at-a-time, do the search and then delete the "restored" files if the
string is not found.
But this process would be highly time-consuming and inefficient FWIKT.

If you backup to disk volumes that you can search trough volume files. When you find a location (address) inside a volume then you can compare it with a jobmedia table in database. As a result you will get a jobid.
In this case I assume that you don't perform any compression or encryption.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net