Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] possible 5.2.2 bug (incrementals being promoted to fulls)

2011-12-01 10:45:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] possible 5.2.2 bug (incrementals being promoted to fulls)
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 07:43:09 -0800

I agree, it's unlikely a 'new' bug, but rather the restarting of my
director during the upgrade that caused the problem to exhibit itself.

Here is what happened in more detail.

A week before the upgrade/director restart, the conf files for a
significant number of jobs (~100) were changed and a "reload" of the
director, and on the day they were changed we manually ran Fulls for
each modified job, which were successfully completed as Fulls.  Then on
subsequent evenings (every day for a week) scheduled Incrementals ran
successfully, and as Incrementals.

When we upgrade to 5.2.2, we of course stopped our old director and
started up the new one.  That evening the 12 out of the ~100 jobs
mentioned above had their scheduled Incrementals promoted to Fulls, and
yes the message in the log says:

> No prior or suitable Full backup found in catalog. Doing FULL backup.

However, this is not actually the case.  There is a successful FULL a
week old for each of the 12 jobs that were promoted, and the other jobs
in the ~100 that were changed did not promote to a FULL.

The dates on the conf files shows that they have not changed since the
Full backups were made a week ago.

Again, we've been using bacula for years now, have some degree of
expertise with it, and we've never seen this before.

Very strange...
Stephen

--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760