Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VolStatus changes from APPEND to USED after a restore

2011-12-01 08:58:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VolStatus changes from APPEND to USED after a restore
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 14:55:23 +0100
Carsten Pache:
> >> A few days ago I had to restore some files. After the files were
> >> restored successfully, the VolStatus (shown by "list volumes") of the
> >> two tapes that were needed during restore changed from "Append" to
> >> "Used". Is this an expected behaviour?
> >
> > Do you hava a maximum use time configured? AFAIK, in that case, the
> > volume status gets updated the next time the respective pool gets
> > touched, in your case by running a restore.
>
> There is a "Volume Use Duration = 1 d" statement in my bacula-dir.conf -
> can that be the reason?

I think so.

> If yes: Why does VolStatus not change from "Append" to "Used"
> automatically after one day (1 d)? Or rather how do I force Bacula
> (5.0.3 in my case) to change the VolStatus?

Because that is only triggered if the pool gets touched somehow, ie. by
means of a new backup or (in your case) with that restore.

But there is a workaround, say "status dir days=nnn" in bconsole, this
should trigger a recalc. I'm not completely sure about the semantics of
days=nnn, but I think, it works in that way that bacula tries to evaluate
tape usage for the amount of days, and if it goes over the next regular use
date for the respective pool, the state gets recalculated.
I.e, if you do a backup to the pool in question every seven days, then
running the above the time the use duration has expired with days=7 (or
bigger) should do the trick.

regards,
        Dietz