Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up Zimbra on-the-fly

2011-11-26 16:11:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up Zimbra on-the-fly
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:09:27 +0200
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:08:40 -0500 (EST), Bill Arlofski wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is anyone backing up Zimbra on-the-fly? I don't think taking server
>> offline for pure file-based copy is a modern method of doing things.
>> Neither do I want to use zmbackup, because as I understand, that
>> dumps
>> all the mailboxes (which are on disk anyway) to separate files which
>> would just waste so much space.
>
> Hi Silver... The "Network Edition" (eg: commercial/pay-for) version
> of Zimbra supports internal full and incremental backups that it does
> on-the-fly and automatically once configured.
>
> At our client sites, we use Bacula to backup the automatic Zimbra
> backups directory structure.
>
> It's a pretty reliable method of backing up Zimbra, and I have
> unfortunately had the experience of having to fully test process this
> when a client's Zimbra server lost 4 drives in a 6-drive RAID5 array
> at the same time. :(
>
> The good new though is that we were able to rebuild the Zimbra server
> (virtual this time), install the Zimbra software, restore Zimbra's
> automatic full and inc backups from our Bacula backup, and then
> re-import all Zimbra accounts/emails/calendars etc
>
> I think with the non-commercial "Community Edition" (assuming that is
> what you are using) you are best off running an live rsync of the
> /opt/zimbra directory structure, then shutdown Zimbra services
> (zmcontrol stop), run an offline rsync of the /opt/zimbra directory
> structure to the same place, restart Zimbra services (zmcontrol
> start,
> THEN run a Bacula backup of the rsync'ed directory.
>
> On smaller sites using the non-commercial edition of Zimbra, we do
> those steps in a RunBefore script for the Zimbra job.
>
> Does this cost you a few minutes of Zimbra downtime each night?
> Yes, but only a few at most while the offline rsync runs.
>
> But if you are running the non-commercial version the benefit of this
> method is in your cost savings - IMHO.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips. I'm running the Network Edition, so I do have the
backup possibility, but I'd prefer using Bacula, especially because I
want to do backups to a remote server. Zimbra's backup scripts are meant
storing backups locally, right? Also the backups take more-or-less the
amount of space the data is.

As for the rsync-method, the downside of this is that it needs the same
amount of disk-space for backup as for the data itself. This is what I
meant by "non-modern" in the initial e-mail.

Anyway, would it suffice to make MySQL-dump, LDAP-dump and just backup
the whole /opt/zimbra with Bacula from an LVM-snapshot or smth?

--
Silver