Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: No drive letters found for generating VSS snapshots.

2011-11-17 04:20:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: No drive letters found for generating VSS snapshots.
From: Janno Sannik <js AT cashongo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:18:13 +0200
On 15.11.2011 12:21, Konstantin Khomoutov wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:02:28 +0200
> Janno Sannik<js AT cashongo.co DOT uk>  wrote:
>
>> I'm new to bacula. I have just successfully set up backuping to
>> linux and windows 7 clients.
>> But, I get this error then I try to back up windows xp 32bit machine.
>> On windows 7 64bit this works without a problem.
>>
>> Is bacula suppose to be working with windows XP&  shadow since I
>> understand that on windows xp the shadowing is not so straightforward
>> as in win7?
> [...]
>
> Do you have the volume shadow copy service enabled (start mode !=
> disabled)?  What if you ensure it's running (by manually starting it, if
> needed) before Bacula starts backing this machine up?
I checked my event logs:
It will get me two evet log errors:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer
ContentIndexingService called routine RegOpenKeyExW (catalog list) which
failed with status 0x80070002 (converted to 0x800423f4).

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected
in trying to contact shadow copy service writers.  Please check to see
that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating
properly.

I have tested this now on 3 Windows XP machines and the result is the same.