Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup MySQL databases

2011-10-25 06:55:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup MySQL databases
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon AT horoa DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:54:15 +0400
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:03:37 +0200
Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon AT horoa DOT net> wrote:

>> I have some servers with MySQL databases. I want to know what is the
>> best way to backup these databases ?
>>
>> For now, i think i will do mysqldump on each server to local disk
>> and after that, backup that files. Is there a better way ? MySQL
>> module for bacula, backup mysql files (.myd and .myi) directly,...?
>> How are you doing it ?
> I use mysqldump and backup my dumps using bacula, just like you.
> I doubt backing up MyIsam files directly is a good idea, especially
> if you have big tables, foreign keys and so on... you could endup
> with tables inconsistencies.
> Using LVM snapshot would help backing up raw files... but you need to
> have you mysql datadir on an lvm volume.
Using filesystem snapshots can't solve the problem of backing up live
database files just by itself, it merely can help reduce downtime of
the database (by going lock/flush -> snapshot -> unlock -> back up
from the snapshot).  I'm not implying you are not aware of this issue,
just want to state it clear to not delude the original poster that
snapshotting is a kind of silver bullet.