Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore taking a long time....

2011-10-07 15:04:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore taking a long time....
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:02:23 -0400
Excerpts from Mike Eggleston's message of Fri Oct 07 14:03:18 -0400 2011:

> The server that runs the bacula server has plenty of disk space and
> 1GB of memory. After this experience I would like to increase the
> memory and to run bacula on a processor better than the Celeron.

Although you noted that you've got 40G of data, that's not a good
metric in this instance.  Is this 40G of Maildir mail folders or 40G
of blu-ray movie rips?  The number of files and directories will be a
more useful number to look at here.

What is your system doing while the synthetic view is being built?  Is
it paging to disk?  Is the load high?  What is mysql doing (strace)?
What is bacula doing (strace)?  Is there anything else happening on
the system while you're doing this?  Is the mysql database on a volume
(physical spindles) with other things that are still being worked hard
during this action?

Thanks
-Ben
--