Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Does anyone has backed up vmdk's of anESXi?

2011-09-07 06:33:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Does anyone has backed up vmdk's of anESXi?
From: Jan Behrend <jbehrend AT mpifr-bonn.mpg DOT de>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:30:40 +0200
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:54:53 +0000, Arnau Coll wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Did you try to Backup vmdk's of an ESXi server? I've googled but
> there're no certain answers... I think that ESXi is so striped to try
> to deploy bacula-fd in the System, but, trying to copy by ssh the
> files to other System before Backup,...
>
> What method do you use?

Hi,

We use VMware Data Recovery (VDR) for this job. It's an application
which plugs into the vCenter.
You get deduplication and other fancy stuff with it.  It is still under
development but works great
for us.
Don't use file based backup software like Bacula on vmdks:  The backup
volume will kill you.
If you change one  byte inside the VM you have to backup all of the
vmdk image which will be
substantially (!) larger.

Cheers Jan

--
MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT fuer Radioastronomie
Jan Behrend - Rechenzentrum