Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?

2011-09-06 09:14:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?
From: Dan Schaefer <dan AT performanceadmin DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:12:00 -0400
On 09/06/2011 08:37 AM, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011, Eric Pratt wrote:
>
>> The incremental will run, but it shouldn't back anything up if nothing
>> changed since the last time the job ran.  When it runs, it looks to
>> see if anything changed and if not, exits with OK. There is no
>> redundancy there.  Check the byte count of the job or list the files
>> backed up by the job to see if it actually moved anything.  If the
>> byte count is 0 and/or there are no files in it, then it's working
>> exactly as you expect.
> This should be right, assuming your data isn't changing much around the
> time of the backups.
>
> If you absolutely must only run the one live backup per day, you could
> consider turning on the "accurate" backup option and using something more
> like:
>
>     Run = Level=VirtualFull Pool="Full-Pool Developer-PC" on 1,16 at 5:05
>     Run = Level=Differential Pool="Diff-Pool Developer-PC" sun at 0:15
>     Run = Level=Incremental Pool="Inc-Pool Developer-PC" mon-sat at 0:15
>
> This will run live differential and incremental backups on the days you
> specify , but rather than running a Full backup on the live data, it uses
> the existing backup data to consolidate the last full backup and the recent
> differentials and incrementals into a new Full backup.  As the live server
> isn't involved, you can probably be flexible about what time that happens.
> This also reduces the load and backup window on the live server in most
> instances.
>
> This should be pretty much equivalent to running a full backup at 0:15 on
> the 1st and 16th.
>
> This is pretty easy to do with disk-based backups, but you may need to
> think a little if you're using tapes, to make sure all of the right tapes
> are available.
>

> Gavin
Gavin,
This certainly will fix my problem. All my backups are in fact
disk-based and I have a separate process backing up to tapes (not
Bacula, atm). I like the idea of the virtual full option, because my
full backups usually take longer than I would like. Keeping the full
backup processing on the director will help out a lot, because the
backups are of the live servers and the diffs and incs will all finish
"after hours". I will try this VirtualFull option and report back.

Thanks,
Dan Schaefer