Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup problems

2011-09-06 07:08:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup problems
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: René Klomp <r.klomp AT aashq DOT nl>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:05:55 +0400
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:18:45 +0200
René Klomp <r.klomp AT aashq DOT nl> wrote:

> I have a problem with a new backup server at one of our customers.
> The person who nomally cofigures and manages the bacup servers is on
> holiday at the moment. He set up this backup server before his
> holiday, but it is not working and my bacula/linux knowledge is not
> enough to solve this..
> I hope somebody here can help me in the right direction to get this
> backup server running correctly.
> This is backup/error log:
>
> 01-Sep 08:00 backup.localdomain-dir JobId 167: shell command: run
> BeforeJob "/etc/bacula/pre_backup.sh"
> 01-Sep 08:00 backup.localdomain-dir JobId 167:
> BeforeJob:   /dev/loop0: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0:
> Input/output error 01-Sep 08:00 backup.localdomain-dir JobId 167:
> BeforeJob:   Logical volume "scst_lv1-snap" already exists in volume
> group "backup_vg" 01-Sep 08:00 backup.localdomain-dir JobId 167:
[...]
Judging from those "lv", "vg" and "snap" bits, it appears that Bacula
is configured to make backups using "LVM snapshots" [1].
Supposedly that /etc/bacula/pre_backup.sh script is responsible for
creation of a snapshot for one or more LVM logical volumes (they hold
filesystems) and mounting them somewhere for the Bacula to back up.

So without the in-depth details about how this is implemented, it's
impossible to tell anything further.
Bacula itself has nothing to do with this.

In theory, you could provide the director's config file, the contents
of that "pre_backup.sh" script and the output of running
# vgdisplay
and
# lvdisplay
so we could try to figure out how it's supposed to work and how to
fix the situation, but I'd rather call that person out from their
holidays.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29