Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about spooling

2011-09-01 13:08:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about spooling
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 19:05:57 +0200
On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 11:06:47AM -0400, mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
wrote:
>               [A], while it should be close to [B]. The reason for
>               the decrease in performance is that bacula stops all
>               spooling as soon as it starts de-spooling.
> In an ideal configuration, there could be multiple spool directories defined,
> and bacula would open a new spool file in the next directory as soon as it
> begins despooling.

We run 1 spool directory and several concurrent jobs spool to it. While
one gets despooled, the others continue spooling. However, if you run
out of spool space, spooling is stopped on all jobs till a complete
despooling is done.
Best practice IMHO with big disks:
- SpoolSize large enough to hold most of your backups completly
- Spool Directory large enough to hold several jobs

In my case most backups are <50GB, incrementals often only <100MB. I use
a 1TB Spool Directory and a Spool Size of 800GB, large enough for all
but my biggest backup job. It works fine here.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91