Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bat/bconsole on Windows 2008 r2

2011-08-29 04:28:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bat/bconsole on Windows 2008 r2
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:26:02 +0200
Op 29/08/2011 8:44, Geert Stappers schreef:
> Op 20110826 om 10:01 schreef Helge Tore Høyland:
>> Hi.
>> I have a problem with connecting bat/bconsole(64/32bit) to director on a
>> Windows 2008 r2.
> IIRC is running the director on a Microsoft server _not recommented_.

I think the OP means he/she is wanting to use bconsole on a Windows
server to connect to the director on a Linux server.

>> My setup is this:
>> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with bacula 5.0.1. Using shorewall as firewall on that.
>> Client is a Windows Server 2008 R2 running as primary DC.
>> I've installed bacula 5.0.1 64bit client on that. Everything went well
>> with installation. The fd started up nice. Passwords, addresses and
>> director/fd names are ok.
>> And i still time out on connection.
>> On the windows server ive opened up both inbound and outbound tcp
>> connection on port 9101, 9102 and 9103.
>> My shorewall setup is
>>
>> ACCEPT  fw  loc  tcp 9101,9102,9103
>> ACCEPT loc  fw  tcp  9101,9102,9103
>> ACCEPT fw  fw tcp 9101,9102,9103
>>
>> I even tried to shut off my windows firewall, no diffrence. Ive tried
>> "telnet IP-of-Director 9101" but that goes inactive straight away.
>> Ive also opened up my server, used bconsole and tried a "status client-fd"
>> and that times out.
>>
>> Ubuntu uses self signed certificates, and windows 2008 r2 domains dont
>> accept self signed certificates. Could the trouble be something along that
>> line? Does Bacula use certificate in some way? Im asking, cus i cant use
>> putty to get a ssh-connection to my ubuntu on this windows 2008 r2 server,
>> something i can from a linux box or a windows 7 machine.
>
> As I understand the original poster, wants he/she to make a remote bconsole
> connection. I don't known if it possible and think it is undesirable.
> ( bconsole doesn't ask for password )

It is definately possible and mostly a case of a good configuration.
There's a bconsole.exe file in your bacula installation directory and
per default there should be a bconsole.conf file with it.
On a 64-bit environment however the default exe's might look for their
config under C:\ProgramData\Bacula\ so you might have to create or copy
them there.
The password required to connect with bconsole is the director password
and is set in that config file.

If everything in the config is correct and you still can't connect (not
even with telnet) it's almost certainly a firewall or network related
issue. Also, unless you set up bacula to use TLS for its connections
there are no certificates involved at all, only a Director, SD and FD
password set in the config files.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****