Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic recycling of volumes/tapes

2011-07-14 07:32:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic recycling of volumes/tapes
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:29:01 +0200
Op 14/07/2011 12:34, Carsten Pache schreef:
> Hi there,
>
> my name is Carsten and I am quite of new to Bacula.
>
> Currently I have the following configuration:
> - Bacula 5.0.3 installed on Ubuntu 11.04.
> - LTO-3 tape drive connected to this machine.
> - Six machines running Windows Server 2003 / 2008 to be backupped nightly
> (mon-fri).
> - Spooling is activated in Bacula.
>
> The backup process by itself works. The problem I have is the recycling of
> the tapes.
>
> I am using ten tapes, labeled Mon_1, Tue_1,..., Fri_1 to be used during odd
> calendar weeks respectively Mon_2, Tue_2,..., Fri_2 to be used during even
> calendar weeks. Every backup is a full backup. The backup size for the six
> Windows machines altogether is 250-300 GB; the capacity of one tape is 400 GB
> uncompressed. The tapes are changed every morning.
>
> After the first backup to a tape, the "VolStatus" of the tape/volume changes
> to "Append". So when this tape is mounted again two weeks later, Bacula
> appends the backup to this tape. Instead, how do I tell Bacula to use this
> tape from the beginning?
There's a few options:
- Add a "Volume Use Duration" to your pool configs. I use a value of "1
days" for my daily backups so the tapes get marked "Used" after that
time and will get recycled later.
- Set a "Maximum Volume Jobs" value in your pool configs. If the amount
of jobs running to one tape is set and will not change often you can use
this to get a tape marked "Used" as soon as the set amount of jobs are
written to it.

Regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****