Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Setting Priority

2011-07-08 15:27:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:23:47 -0400
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue.

I've been testing Bacula 5.0.3 and Vchanger for a few months now,
everything is working good and I hope to put this into production very
soon.  For the past few months I have only been backing up a small
handful of machines, I'm at a point now where I'm adding a lot more
machines to the server for backup.  Some of my machines have a lot of
data and take 12+ hours to run a level 0, Full, non-compressed backup of
the entire machine.

Due to the amount of data and machines I'll be backing up, I can see
that when the first of the month comes around, running all my level 0
(Full) backups is going to take a week or more.  I'm concerned because
if my level 1s (incremental) get queued up behind the level 0s data
could potentially be lost.  So, I would like to assign my incremental a
higher priority over Fulls, that way when the server is busy running
Full backups, bacula will queue up the level 1's first and then continue
on with the level 0s.  Am I making sense?

Throughout my testing, I have only used one JobDef, the default one.  I
have edited it a little.  Because all my jobs use this JobsDef all the
jobs, whether a Full or Incremental, gets assigned the default Priority
10.  I'm confused as to how I will configure bacula to have the Full
backups say priority 10 and the incremental, say a Priority 9.

Another question, sort of related.  As I said above, at the first of the
month when all my Full backups fire off, it's going to keep the backup
server very busy for a week or more.  Is there a way to configure bacula
to run certain groups (Pools?) Full backups on different dates?  Say, I
could have 1/2 my machines level 0 run on the 1st of each month and then
the second 1/2 run on the 15th?  Or something like that.  I'd really
like to have my Full backups done within a few days and not weeks.

I'm sorry if I have not explained this well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thank you,

mike