Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] JBOD backup

2011-06-15 17:23:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] JBOD backup
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mark Yarbrough <marky AT itechnv DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:20:18 -0400
2011/6/15 Mark Yarbrough <marky AT itechnv DOT com>:
> I searched and I didn’t find the answer to this, if I missed it please point
> me in the right direction.
>

> I have a 5 bay high-rely classic backup unit.  They basically mount as hard
> drives.  The device connects via USB3.  I would like to use Bacula as the
> backup daemon.  In this case I am not able to wrap my head around
> challenge.
>

> How do I tell Bacula to treat certain media as “autoloaded” media and not
> separate disks  ie /dev/sdx, /dev/sdx.  I want to label the disks via bacula
> and treat them just as I would a tape?  Thus when it is time to prune it
> will just prune and tell me which drives to use, as well as request <label>
> for the daily incremental.   Am I just thinking about this the wrong way?
> We are making backups that would need to span across multiple 2 TB disks,
> hence the autoloader thought process.

I recommend you use the bacula vchanger. This is a virtual disk autochanger.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/

And make each physical disk a virtual magazine with several volumes
meaning store more than 1 bacula volume on each hard drive. To do this
you will need to set Maximum Volume Size for your pool to be some nice
number (20GB, 50GB, 100GB ...) that is divisible by your storage size
for the hard drives. Then set up your virtual changer to have the
number of slots as volumes that can fit on your hard drive.

John